Updated: February 17, 2024
This Buffalo chicken dip recipe is a favorite appetizer that’s ready just in time for the big game!
This appetizer is creamy, cheesy, loaded with chicken and the famously bright and tangy flavor of Buffalo sauce!
Delicious served warm and melty from the oven with tortilla chips, bread sticks, or veggies, this dip should be front and center of your snack table.
A Favorite Party Dip
Who doesn’t love a good plate of buffalo wings on game day? This dip takes the flavor from your favorite Buffalo chicken wings and turns them into a totally scoopable party dip!
- Easy to make: This recipe is super simple to make, prep it in two easy steps and bake!
- Prep ahead: Assemble up to 2 days before, refrigerate, and bake before serving!
- Scoop it, dip it, or spread it: Serve with tortilla chips, crackers or crostini; or keep it low carb with veggies like carrot sticks and celery sticks.
Ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Dip
Chicken – Buffalo dip is a great recipe for using up leftover chicken. You can often purchase shredded chicken in the deli at the grocery store or use rotisserie chicken or poached chicken breasts. If using canned chicken, drain it very well and fold it gently as it tends to break apart.
Cheese – Sharp cheddar pairs best with the bold flavor of the buffalo sauce. You can also mix and match a Mexican cheese blend, Swiss, Colby-Jack cheese, or some blue cheese crumbles! For a lighter, mix in some Greek yogurt with the cream cheese.
Sauce – Buffalo sauce is the star of this recipe. You can make it from scratch with butter and hot sauce or use Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Sauce as a quick alternative.
Seasonings – I add green onions and garlic powder but you can also sprinkle in a little bit of ranch seasoning mix or taco seasoning.
Add-ins – Loaded with cheesy goodness, buffalo chicken dip is also great with some diced green chiles, sliced jalapenos or diced peppers, bacon bits, or even some finely diced celery for crunch!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Mix cream cheese, buffalo wing sauce, sour cream, & seasonings (as per recipe below).
- Fold in chicken & cheese.
- Top with extra cheese & bake until bubbly.
Other variations include Buffalo Ranch Chicken Dip or Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip.
What to Dip in Buffalo Chicken Dip
Create a colorful and crunchy platter of fresh veggies for dipping and offer some tortilla chips, toasted baguette slices, or homemade garlic cheese toast. Add a drizzle of ranch dressing or blue cheese.
How to Store
- Keep leftover buffalo chicken dip covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Give it a stir and enjoy it chilled or heat it in the microwave.
- You can freeze this buffalo chicken dip recipe in freezer bags for up to 8 weeks. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and serve cold or reheat as desired, adding fresh cheese, if desired.
Did your guests love this Buffalo Chicken Dip? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
The Best Buffalo Chicken Dip
This is the best Buffalo Chicken Dip. Extra creamy, super cheesy and lots of buffalo chicken flavor.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a medium mixing bowl, blend the cream cheese, sour cream, buffalo sauce, and garlic powder together using a hand mixer until the mixture becomes fluffy.
Stir in the shredded chicken, half of the cheddar cheese, half of the mozzarella cheese, and sliced green onions.
Transfer the mixture to a small baking dish or pie plate.
Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Quickly soften cream cheese by microwaving it for 15 seconds on high.
- Mix the base with a hand mixer to keep it fluffy for dipping.
- Prepare the dip up to 48 hours ahead of time and bake when your guests arrive. Add a few minutes to the cooking time.
- In a hurry? Melt all of the ingredients on the stovetop. Stir in chicken, top with cheese, and broil.
- Crockpot variation: Add all ingredients to a 2qt slow cooker. Cook on low for 3 hours, stirring occasionally, and turn to warm once melted.
Calories: 188 | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0.003g | Cholesterol: 59mg | Sodium: 622mg | Potassium: 156mg | Fiber: 0.1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 518IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 148mg | Iron: 0.2mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.